- Sound art in architecture
- Spatial practices in the fine arts
- Sound synthesis
- Electronics and electronic music
- Noise and visual noise
Katharina Bévand is a sound artist based in Berlin. She creates site-specific sound installations, sound sculptures, and performs on modular synthesizers. She works with processed field recordings, extended recording techniques and the resonance of spaces and objects. She recently received a research grant from the Berlin Senate. In 2017 she was honored by “bonn hoeren – sonotopia” of the Beethoven Foundation for Arts and Culture Bonn and she has been a board member of the Berliner Gesellschaft für Neue Musik e.V between 2018-20. She exhibited internationally at FK:K IV Festival in Bamberg, LTK4 in Cologne, DARB1718 in Egypt, Madou Sugar Factory Art Triennale in Taiwan, Dystopia Festival for Sound Art in Berlin, and Space21 Festival in the Autonomous Region of Kurdistan in Northern Iraq, and in the communal Galeries Berlin, among others. In 2018, she received funding from the Institute for Foreign Relations and the Goethe Institut Erbil. https://katharinabevand.com/
“Sound invades all– yes, sound invades architecture, spaces, rooms, houses; objects, materials, surfaces; cells, bodies, muscles, flesh; minds and thoughts, our spirits, our soul. Sound invades our ears, our skin, our feelings, our emotions. The best is, it is a language not based on logic and words. That is why we can enjoy even a song of which we do not understand a word because it is not sung in our language. Sound evades and invades, it oscillates. It is always in-between, oscillating, pulsating, swinging, vibrating. Even a word is not only the sound itself but also the meaning attached.”
- RAUSCH Festival, Begehungen e.V., 2019.
- Function.Anomy Exhibition in Berlin, Bezirksamt Reinickendorf, 2019.
- Traces-Architectures-Projections, catalog of the 2 years exhibition program at Bärenzwinger, Kommunale Galerien Berlin, Kerber Verlag, 2019.
- Madou Sugar Industry Art Triennial, Taiwan 2019.
- Dystopia Sound Art Festival, Errant Sound e.V., 2018. Dystopia catalog
- Space21 Sound Art Festival, Space21, 2018. Space21 catalog